Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Playstation to USB Adapter for PC

Testing the Playstation to USB Controller Adapter

You can find these adapters on eBay (usually direct from Hong Kong) for less than $8 including shipping. It was so cheap, I decided to buy one and test it out. On to the tests!

The Test System:
  • MSI AM2 Motherboard
  • AMD Athlon X2 Processor
  • Windows XP SP3 (32bit)
  • PCSX2 Playground v1.0.0395 VM
  • ePSXe v1.7.0
PSX and PS2 Emulator Compatibility
If you're reading this article you're probably a ePSEe or PCSX2 user looking for an easy way to get a controller working with the emulator. You'll be happy to know this cheap little device allows you to use two Playstation controllers at once, as advertised. I was even able to use my Red Octane Guitar. HOWEVER, it did not like every controller I tested, and the driver CD they shipped with the unit didn't help. All of these controllers were first tested on my Playstation 2 console before I tested them under an emulator.


(The test equipment pile)


Hardware Compatibility
So which controllers worked and which didn't?
  • Sony PS2 Dualshock 2 (SCPH-10010) FAIL
  • Sony PSX (SCPH1080) PASS
  • Verge Micro PS2 (VGP2MCONT) PASS
  • Red Octane Guitar (PSLGH) PASS
  • Madcatz Wireless PS2 (8246) FAIL
I found that it didn't matter which emulator I tried the Dualshock 2 controller in, or how many controllers I used at once, they always failed to work properly. The wireless controller also didn't work as it wouldn't sync. Perhaps these two controllers have voltage requirements that aren't being met by the adapter? I won't have the time to research.

I should note that while the guitar worked, Rock Band doesn't run properly under PCSX2. Perhaps with some tweaking I can get the emulator to see it as a guitar and get the blank menu options to appear, but I don't have the time.

Tip: Things seem to work the best if you plug the USB cable in first, then both controllers, then start the emulator.

Other Uses:
I also found that a Playstation controller with this USB adapter works great for the following other emulators:
  • Stella v2.3.5 (Atari)
  • Project 64 v1.3 (N64)
  • FCE Ultra v0.5 (NES)
  • Snes9X v1.41-1 (SNES)
  • Gens v2.14 (Genesis)
Further Reading:

http://www.epsxe.com
http://www.pcsx2.net
http://www.ngemu.com