Sunday, November 23, 2008

My Workout Routine and Results

This is just an entry to mark my progress, and maybe help others through example. I currently workout twice a week for about 1.5 hours each session.

Routine:
I manage to work all major muscle groups in two days. The exercises are complementary in that the movements designed to work one muscle group also use the other muscle groups that are worked the same day. For example when you bench press, although it is pec focused, you are also using your delts and triceps.
  • Day 1 is pecs, deltoids, triceps
    • Bench press sets
      • 12 reps @ 135lbs
      • 8 reps @ 185lbs
      • 5 reps @ 225lbs (3 sets)
      • 20 reps @ 135lbs
    • Seated shoulder press sets
      • 8 reps @ 135lbs (3 sets)
    • Forward dumbbell raises (alternating arms during set)
      • 16 reps @ 35lbs (3 sets)
    • Side dumbbell raises (weight in each hand)
      • 16 reps @ 35lbs (3 sets)
    • Fixed bar pulley skull crushers
      • 12 reps @ 150lbs (3 sets)

  • Day 2 is biceps, lats, traps, quads, hams, glutes, calfs
    • Pullups
      • 10 pullups (2 sets)
    • Standing dumbbell curls (alternating arms during set)
      • 16 reps @ 40lbs (4 sets)
    • Standing one handed preacher curls (alternating arms during set)
      • 16 reps @ 30lbs (1 set)
    • Shrugs (dumbbell in each hand so divide total weight by 2)
      • 24 reps @ 150 lbs (4 sets)
    • Wide grip pull down
      • 8 reps @ 200 lbs (2 sets)
      • 16 reps @ 140lbs (1 set)
    • Machine assisted hack squat (Squating low)
      • 12 reps @ 400lbs (1 set)
    • Cardio (Treadmill, Alternating Intervals)
      • 3 min @ speed 3.4, elev 0
      • 3 min @ speed 7.0, elev 1
      • 3 min @ speed 3.4, elev 0
      • 3 min @ speed 7.0, elev 1
      • 3 min @ speed 3.4, elev 0
I could do more for my legs, but I hate how tired it makes me feel for the days that follow.

Supplements:
I had alot of new supplements recently donated to me, so I mixed 3 different canisters together which consisted of the following:
  • GNC Soy Protien 95
  • GNC Distance
  • American Whey
I mix one scoop into 8 ounces of whole milk and drink half of it 45 minutes before my workout and half directly after. I feel like the soy protien gives me a little more energy for some reason.

Baseline:
I used a tape measure to get my initial measurements. These can be used to track my progress. I was measured with a caliper in 2007 at 184lbs to have 17% body fat, but the accuracy of these tests vary.

9/14/08
Weight 179lbs
Right Arm 14.75" (Flexed)
Left Arm 14.00" (Flexed)
Waist 34.00" (After breakfast)

2 month check:
I really need to be more strict about when I weigh and measure myself. First thing in the morning before eating and after visiting the bathroom would be the ideal time. Still, I think I have made some actual progress.

11/23/08
Weight 180lbs
Right Arm 15.00" (Flexed)
Left Arm 14.50" (Flexed)
Waist 34.25" (After breakfast, lunch, and dinner)

Targets:
16" arms, maintain 180lbs, bench 300lbs

Update - 09/03/09:
Right Arm 15.50" (Flexed)
Left Arm 15.00" (Flexed)
Weight 176lbs

My wide grip pulldown weight went up to 220lbs.

After much soul searching, I've decided to give up on my 300lb bench. As I make attempts for 280lbs, my lower back hurts for several days after. I can also feel aches and pains that I never felt before as I continue ageing into my 30's.

I also remember pressing over 1100lbs on the leg press at age 29 and breaking a rib and ripping my groin. I really don't need another experience like that..

For me, my long term health is more important than being able to say I could move a certain amount of weight. So my new plan is to get my weight down between 170-175, and keep my arms between 15-16". Then just maintain that for as long as I can.